Daisypath Anniversary tickers elliott5inbc: Yes THEY Can!!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes THEY Can!!

Ok, so some of you may know that Calvin and I are self proclaimed 'nerds'. We went to Washington, DC on our honeymoon....we regularly watch CNN, and never go to bed without watching CTV newsnet....Lloyd Robertson is our favorite anchor. We are very politically minded, when the coalition was going to happen, I promptly called our MP and left a scathing message about the political process. He (our MP, Nathan Cullen) actually called me back from Ottawa, and we had an HOUR long conversation. He tried to out maneuver me with the political talk but was surprised and impressed on how I could hold my own. Anyway, that said....we are interested in politics...in this country and around the world.

Fast forward to this morning.

My girls (who are 5, 8 and 9) woke up, and knew it was the day. It was the day of change for America and the world. They knew that Barak Obama was going to be the 44th president of the United States. (Fun fact....when Michelle Obama walked out on the steps of the capital, Avery and Delaney both knew her because they play a game on gamesgames.com where they can dress her up!) I was watching CTV when they woke up, and they were all so spellbound that they begged to eat their breakfast in the living room so they wouldn't miss anything. I said yes, and we watched as past presidents and vice presidents took their seats. We saw the presidential motorcade come down the road and saw the coolest presidential limo EVER. The girls asked why he needed to be in a car that has bullet proof and bomb proof glass, which prompted a conversation about JFK and how he was shot, and how the vice-president gets to be the president in that case. My girls were spellbound by the shots of MILLIONS of people at the 'mall' in Washington, they were excited to see the two girls of Barack and Michelle Obama walk out and take their seats. Avery told me how she thought it was so cool that Barack was the first black president. We had to leave for school and the girls asked me to tape what they would miss. When we got into the car, I turned the sirius radio to Fox News and we listened to the crowds cheer as President Elect Obama came down the steps to the capitol. My girls didn't ask to listen to radio disney...in fact, they didn't ask anything...they just listened. I raced (yes, raced...I told you, I'm a NERD!) and woke Calvin up so we could watch Rick Warren pray at the opening of the ceremony. Once sworn in, President Obama made an amazing speech. I actually cried. Now, I know I'm not an American, but you could feel the hope that these people felt! His speech was heartfelt and sincere. This is a man, whose father would NOT have been served at a restaurant in Washington only 50 years ago...and today, he was taking office in the highest place in America! I just think it's cool. I feel inspired today. I felt like my girls witnessed history in the making.....

Heck...I felt like I did too.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually got out of bed before anyone to watch this... I've been looking forward to it!

It's true, we just witnessed something that will go down in history books; and I do for once feel a sense of pride for our neighbors to the South. Looks like they finally got something right!

Also, we don't have a move in day. Yet. :)

1:11 p.m.  
Blogger Kimberley B said...

That's pretty cool. We have witnessed something amazing! Something other than tragedy that our generations have bred.

Pray for that man's safety. The US, like many countries are not as advanced as they try to make themselves out to be. Hatred runs far too deep.

Secondly I think that people are putting a heck of a lot of pressure on him to practically save the world. He is incredibly charismatic and hopeful, he may have made an undeniable mark on history already but he is after all... a man.

I didn't get to watch this as it happened, but I'll be catching reruns. And there's always youtube...

8:18 p.m.  
Blogger Simone said...

Michelle, your post brings tears to my eyes. Our home was probably quite similar to yours. Our t.v and the TiVo have been on CNN all day (nothing new). The Obamas' has been a common name in our house like he's a friend who lives down the street.

Journee came home from school today asked me the question I had been waiting for. She asked if there were people who didn't like me because I had brown skin. When I told her "yes" I saw the look of confusion in her eyes. To a child that just couldn't be possible. One person not liking another because of their skin. So simple right? I love that I can show and tell my kids that President Obama is living out the dream of the man's birthday we celebrated just yesterday, the day before the Inauguration. That no matter the color of our skin we can do anything and be anybody.
So it brings tears to my eyes that me, a person of color can celebrate with you what this new President of The United States of America will bring to our history. And oh yeah, he just happens to be brown*. *(as my girls would say)

9:27 p.m.  
Blogger Kater said...

I agree with Kimberley on both her points... he needs prayers and God's steady hand on him as he really and truly is not the Saviour of the world... you know? I took two American History classes last sem. One on American Foreign Policy and one on the US' relationship with Canada... I understand not only the history of the USA and the earnest importance of change for their nation, but also the genuine fear that people have for his life.

Most importantly for Canadians, we cannot deny the intricacy of our relationship with the States. We depend on the States, we have to. Period. So if us simple, everyday citizens can do anything by way of making this transition into a 'new day' or change slightly easier for the USA, and subsequently the rest of the world, it is pray pray pray for this man.

Also, my favourite part of the inauguration was when Obama said it was a collective failure of the people AND the administration that has resulted in the nation that stands economically impaired. Well said.

If anything, these next few months will be particularly interesting... fascinating really.

Michelle, I embrace your nerdness because I am a nerd too. My favourite part of your post is that you called your MP. Fabulous.

11:34 p.m.  
Blogger Cyriously? said...

Love this post Michelle - you inspire me.

3:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Anniversary tickers