Daisypath Anniversary tickers elliott5inbc: All The Things I Know....Or Don't

Monday, May 07, 2012

All The Things I Know....Or Don't

Ok, here's what I've noticed.

I have all kinds of female friends on Facebook (and yes, even some who aren't on FB), some are young..some are old.  Some are married, some have kids...some graduated with me 19 (GULP) years ago, some met me at youth group...some I teach or have taught their kids...and there is a theme with ALMOST all of them (I say almost so you who do not have this issue won't message me).  When it comes to how they look, they are not happy.  I don't even think they are all UNhappy...some are, and you can tell by the pictures (or lack thereof) they post (guilty as charged), but they aren't ok with how they look.

This isn't some new revelation to you, I realize...but here is the strange thing.  It doesn't seem to matter if they are thin, chubby, large and in charge, blonde, curly, short, tall...and on and on.  They aren't, ok, let's change that...WE aren't happy.  We aren't enough.

We are striving for something...perfection?  We say nothing is as good as skinny feels.... but is that true?  Have you had butter chicken and Naan bread or Heather's homemade scones?  Does skinny feel SO amazing?  I ask you skinny friends who don't look as big as me, but seem to FEEL as big as I am....is all this stress worth it?

I'm all for being healthy, which is why I overhauled my rather large A@@ and got it movin'....but it's not really what its all about is it?  Its about the daily comparison that we do.... It's about the NEVER EVER feeling like you've actually made it.  It's about having something special to go to in June and wondering how you will lose 20 pounds before then, because maybe, just maybe all will be well in your world. It's about correct chin angles, chest and up shots and putting your children infront of you so you can essentially be in the picture but HIDE at the same time (again, guilty as charged).

Friend...sister....woman.....aren't we done with all this?  Don't we know better?  Isn't is true that we are not defined by what we look like?  I guess not, or what would all the fuss be about?

2 Comments:

Blogger Adina H said...

We hear a lot "it's what's on the inside that counts". And although I feel like there is so much truth in that, society wants us to think that being overweight makes us less. Or at least that's what I see.
I married into a family where weight issues are non-existent, and so, now that I live here, I especially feel the immense pressure to be better. Yes, I'm trying to be healthy, but feeling like I'm under the watchful judgemental eye just makes me want to grab the ice cream! LOL
I love ya, Michelle! And I think you are fabulous, inside and out. I'm not the only one who thinks so. You look amazing and you have MUCH to be proud of. Years from now, your family won't remember what size you wore but they'll remember who you were and how awesome of a wife, mom & friend you are.

10:03 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comparison is the thief of joy and it's true. Women are kind of retarded like that.

But you do look beautiful and I know you are starting to believe that. Your hard work is paying off!

1:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Anniversary tickers