Daisypath Anniversary tickers elliott5inbc: Old Man Winter

Monday, September 19, 2011

Old Man Winter

I am originally from Manitoba. Yup...lemme hear it....'Winterpeg'....ahahahaha.....

I have lived in BC half of my life, but it's still not long enough to forget the BONE chilling, windy, Winnipeg winters.

I would even now consider myself a British Columbian.....but, there is one thing I can NOT stand for.....and that is whining about a BC winter.

I have a new friend, Janelle. She is from Ontario (don't judge her....she's lovely, and we can't hold the entire province's snobbery against her) and she has lived here in 'northern' BC (seriously, it's CENTRAL PEOPLE....LOOK AT A MAP!) for about 6 weeks. In those 6 weeks, all she had heard is how she is going to perish in the cold and awfulness of this winter....that she will not survive....that death would be welcome about January 5th.....

I. DO. NOT. GET. IT.

These winter complainers are obviously not from anywhere other than BC. Only in BC do people compare winter conditions with Vancouver. THE WARMEST MAJOR CITY IN CANADA IN THE WINTER.

We spend 95 % of winter days outside here! We snowmobile, we toboggan, we ski, we skate...and all in a relatively moderate winter climate! There is little or no wind here. It's about -10 all winter (with the exception of the two cold weeks that are in the -20's) and yes, the snow is here for about 3 or 4 months, but really people? Really? You want to compare yourselves to a city that collectively cries when it snows 5 cms? This is the true north strong and free for goodness sake! Man up!

Prairie people are hearty people. It's hotter than hades all summer and colder than....well, what's the opposite of hades?

Uh...that would be Winnpeg.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Meier's said...

I totally hear you. I couldn't believe when I moved to Vancouver Island and people there complained about how cold it was and it was like 2 degrees out. Sometimes BC'ers can be such wimps!

5:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is true. And people complain just as much about crappy summer weather as they do about long winters. I'm all for winter, it's beautiful, the sun is shining... but by March, when the snow is dirty and gross- I long for Spring.
Especially if the snow has been here since November!

9:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I am again leaving a less than stellar comment. You're the worst blogger EVER.

Please write some more. :)

8:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Anniversary tickers