Daisypath Anniversary tickers elliott5inbc: The Things I Know For Sure.....

Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Things I Know For Sure.....

Do you ever have those Oprah moments? You know...the 'aha' moments in life where something wakes up in your brain and you realize something for the greater good?

I had one of those on friday.

I was standing in the Smithers Civic Centre, watching my girls skate and soaking up all the 'small-town-ness' possible when I realized how much I LOVE our community.

I use the word community because that is what Smithers is to me. It's everything cliche that you could imagine about a small town....from big trucks with truck nuts to lululemon wearing pilates instructors....curling club to Boston Pizza...and the list goes on. It's having more than half the population show up to a fall fair parade just to see the crazy out of shape belly dancers strut their stuff and throw out bazooka joe gum to the crowd....

And I LOVE IT.

I was talking to a lady I quasi-know because Delaney and her son were born the same year and have been in the same class off and on for the last 6 years. She had her two sons there and was leaving to go pick her husband up at the airport so I offered to keep watch over the boys just in case. She thanked me and went to tell the boys if they needed anything just ask 'Delaney's Mom'...then she left. She left her most prized possessions in the hands of someone she doesn't really know....and that's when it dawned on me. This little town is a community. We watch after one anothers children. We help each other out. We have TIME for conversations because we don't have to spend half our lives driving places....I mean, this lady was back in half an hour from the airport and she even had time to run her hubby home! We stood at the back near the concession and let the smell of pizza pops waft by our noses while we watched our kids skate around and around....

And it was good.

So small town good.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Meier's said...

I completely understand...We haven't lived in Ladysmith as long as you guys have in Smithers but I feel the same way about our small town here. i love that no matter where I go, the grocery store, the post office, the bank etc they know me by name and its a continual relationship...love it

8:19 p.m.  
Blogger Cyriously? said...

Great post...
Smithers will always have a very special place in my heart.

7:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, out of all the places to live... Smithers does have a very warm charm to it.

1:27 p.m.  
Blogger Adina H said...

I agree with Heather... Smithers will forever be a special place in my heart too... I don't think I'll ever forget what living there meant for me... I'd move back there in a heartbeat if I could...

I've been gone from there for four years now and I still talk about Smithers everywhere I go...

4:29 p.m.  
Blogger punkersdanielle said...

Beautifully written, Michelle!

Hey, did you know that my favorite band in the universe wrote a song partly inspired by Smithers?

7:55 a.m.  
Blogger elliott5inbc said...

Hey Danielle..

Which song??

4:34 p.m.  
Blogger Kater said...

I'm on the fence about this one.

Your post is beautiful and touches on the best parts about living there. BUT there are things, for some (like me) that I don't get from living there that I've come to appreciate living elsewhere. Maybe I'll write about it myself.

Haha.

BUT it would be fun to spend more time in a small little place where I know people wherever I turn. I guess I like the mystery that comes with this life right now... maybe when I am older I will appreciate what you have a bit more? :) :) Either way, it was definitely home - Smithers.

10:49 a.m.  
Blogger Kimberley B said...

Hmmm... the warm fuzzies are coming back. I'd be lying if I said I NEVER thought of moving back there. Maybe one day, who knows??

6:16 p.m.  
Blogger elliott5inbc said...

Kate-it's true...I've romanticized Smithers but for good reason...

I have lived elsewhere (the booming city of Winnipeg) and I just know this is home for me....

6:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Anniversary tickers